Thursday 14 July 2011

Eating low carb

I've been a bit obsessed with eating a high protein, low carb diet lately. I've been trying to stick to under 40g of carbs, over 80g of protein and between 1000-1200 calories a day.

For me, it's almost impossible. I always end up higher in carbs that I should be, even though I don't eat any simple carbs like bread, rice, potato, pasta etc. I guess I'm not eating enough meat, and who knew there were so many carbs in vegetables?!?!

Today I thought, stuff it, I'm going to have porridge for breakfast. Well, I ate half a cup and wasn't hungry any more so threw the rest away (what a waste, but better than eating for the sake of it right?). Anyway, it's 10:51 and I'm still not hungry. Usually when I eat my standard breakfast of light yoghurt and a latte I'm hungry for a snack at about 10, and put it off as long as I can, usually having something to eat at about 10:30.

But today I'm only just starting to feel a little emptier now, and I wouldn't even call it hungry. Hmmmm. Maybe oats are ok? I've been staying away from bread, pasta, rice and potato because I know they are trigger foods for me and I'll be hungry again an hour after eating them. But oats are low on the glycemic index and should be ok in theory. Maybe I'll start including them in my diet more often.

So, it looks like not all carbs are the same. Of course, I knew this, but I thought eating anything with a higher carb content than I have been would trigger me to start craving all the other 'bad' carbs. It seems not. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment