Wednesday 6 July 2011

Appreciating the little things

Last night one of my best friends, J came over for dinner. This is pretty unusual for me to have someone over to eat at my place for a couple of reasons: I live in a share house and I've always felt like having company imposes on my other housemates so I don't like to do it too often. I'm also a shy cook. I like to experiment and cook for myself, but I really don't like cooking for other people, it makes me nervous.

I recently started a high protein, low carb diet and I've been trying out a lot of new recipes to support this new eating plan, so when J said she would come to my area to catch up last night I invited her to be my guinea pig for a new dish that I was trying out.

She came over and we had a great time just chatting, eating (it turned out great, by the way) and catching up on our lives for the last couple of weeks since we'd seen each other. It doesn't seem like a long time but in London a LOT can happen in 2 weeks so there was a lot to talk about.

Anyway, the night was really nothing 'special' but there was good company, good food and good conversation, and I went to bed last night thinking it's these little things that can really make you feel like you're at home when you're living on the other side of the world from your family and childhood friends.

On another note, I went and saw a room in a flat down the road before dinner last night and I really liked it. The flatmates (2 guys and 1 other girl) are all 30+ and seem really nice. I spent over half an hour chatting with them and getting to know how the household works and it just seems like a much better fit for me than where I am now.

I'm hoping to find out today whether I get it or not, move in date would be the 18th August so I'd have plenty of time to replace myself at my current place if I do get it.

Finger and toes crossed for this one

No comments:

Post a Comment